ПравилаПравила   FAQFAQ   ПоискПоиск   ПользователиПользователи   ГруппыГруппы  Репутация пользователейРепутация  ПрофильПрофиль  Напоминание пароляЗабыли пароль?   Войти и проверить личные сообщенияВойти и проверить личные сообщения    РегистрацияРегистрация  ВходВход

Как ЭТО делается (eng.)

Начать новую тему   Ответить на тему    Список форумов PsyShine -> Фрагменты творчества
Предыдущая тема :: Следующая тема  
Автор Сообщение
маслоff

голосов: 59

СообщениеДобавлено: Чт Мар 30, 2006 3:00 pm    Заголовок сообщения: Как ЭТО делается (eng.) Ответить с цитатой

The Aphex Face
Some time ago, in the summer of 2001 if I recall correctly, I ran into an intriguing page at http://chaos.yerbox.org/face/. The page, which sadly has since then disappered from the face of the earth, was all about this hidden "demon face" in one of Aphex Twin's tracks, #2 (the long formula) on "Windowlicker".

This face was supposed to be viewable with a spectrograph program, so I decided to try it myself. A spectrograph basically visualizes the sound spectrum.

First I needed to extract the track from the Windowlicker CD, which was easy with CDex. The extraction of the whole track was not really necessary because the "face" is situated at the very end of the track, starting from the 5:27 mark and lasting for about 10 seconds. There are other "audio images" on this particular track as well (and one at the end of the first track), but the face is certainly the most exciting of them all.

After I had the wav-file, I used a program called Spectrogram to visualize the file. To my amazement, it worked, and I was soon staring at the "demon" face:

I was, however, not content with this. Why would the good ol' Twin have added a "demon" face into one of his tracks? I mean, the man does have a weird sense of humor, but I always thought demons were more up BoC's alley...

While examining the image, I came to the conclusion that something was not right. So I started messing around with the settings of the spectrograph program, and after a bit of knob twiddling the mystery revealed itself: the face was supposed to be watched with a logarithmic frequency scale, not with a linear scale.

A linear scale provided the "demon face", but with a logarithmic scale the end results were quite different:

the plot thickens

Why, it was none other than the Twin himself all the time, complete with his patented grin!

The settings which I used to get the above image were roughly the same as in the picture below (they aren't the exact same settings since I've lost them somewhere, but if you try them yourself you'll find that they are more than close enough):

spectrogram settings for reproducing the face

After this "amazing" discovery, I contacted the guy at chaos.yerbox.org and informed him of the results. He seemed interested to add this new-found info to his pages, but I suppose he's just not gotten around to it yet :)

Next, I decided to inform the good folks on the IDM mailinglist about The Face. It turned out that this "picture to audio" -thing was really not hard to do at all and there was a Windows program called Coagula that could transform any picture into soundwaves with minimum effort. Aphex Twin himself had used a Mac program called Metasynth to do his images.

I tested Coagula and found it easy enough to use. Now this new discovery raised a new question: Were there more examples of this audio imaging available?

Luckily the soundscapes that Coagula spits out are quite easy to notice in their aural form, so I didn't have to look for long before I found another example: On Plaid's "Rest Proof Clockwork", the track "3recurring" contains a continuous stream of "threes" (as seen on the cover art of their previous album, "Not For Threes").

Besides the Plaid discovery I couldn't find any more examples of audio imaging on any of the CD's I own, but I didn't bother to look that hard either. However it is clear that this audio/image stuff was "hip" at 1999, since both of the aforementioned records were released around that time.

After going public with my pages, I've had several people contact me to offer more information on the subject or wanting to get an interview. The most prominent one was the story run on Wired Magazine (a well-researched story, but they got my age wrong by 6 years :)

So here is a list of other records possibly containing audio images suggested by the good folks on the net. You know who you are! I haven't personally checked all of these CD's out, so I can't confirm the following info to be 100% correct:

Artist: Interlace
Record: Innuendo (or possibly some other record of theirs?)
Content: Text sequences, picture of their their symbol and a picture of an embryo. Possibly a DNA molecular sequence on the final track.
Link: Design for a New Breed

Artist: Venetian Snares
Record: Songs about my Cats [ZIQ032] released on Planet Mu
Content: The final track, "Look", contains pictures of Mr. Snares' cats. This one is confirmed, look for the pictures below.
Link: Planet Mu

Some audio imaging -related links people have sent me:

The vOICe - Video sonification software for Microsoft Windows
The vOICe - Java Applet
Gallery of Music from Pictures - Lauri Gröhn
Instrumental Transcommunication - This is just too weird not to link to

As a nice finish, here are is a small gallery of some audio images:

spiral at the end of track #1 on Aphex Twin's "Windowlicker"

extract of Venetian Snares' "Look" from "Songs about my Cats"

Начать новую тему   Ответить на тему    Список форумов PsyShine -> Фрагменты творчества Часовой пояс: GMT + 2
Страница 1 из 1

Перейти: